Sarah Skamrev, aka Modulator_Demodulator, or "Modem", is not your usual asari. The most obvious difference is her height: at 6'11", she is quite a bit taller than most. She attributes this to her heritage - apparently, her family has always been on the tall side. Another obvious difference is her cyberware; her limbs have been replaced with military-grade cybernetics, though not entirely of her choice. A less obvious quirk is her rather impressive knowledge of human culture, mostly due to living with humans almost exclusively for twenty years.
Modem's first name, Sarah, is assumed - though not because she wanted to get away from her name. For some reason, her actual first name didn't translate well to English - and, wanting to reduce confusion, she changed her first name to something that wouldn't translate strangely. After that, it just stuck. Her last name, Skamrev, isn't assumed.
Heritage-wise, Modem is somewhat interesting. Her grandfather was krogan, her father was quarian - and he served with the Migrant Fleet Marines for most of his life - while both her mother and grandmother where commandos.
Modem's biotics are fairly powerful, though she can't generate a singularity. Recent combat reports indicate she is capable of performing a biotic charge, however, and she's somewhat well-known for having a rather powerful throw.
- Stinger II (modified)
- M-5 Phalanx (civilian version, sometimes termed C-5)
- M-58 Kaji
- SKR-532 G battle rifle
- T-7 Brigand shotgun
- Semifluid projector
- Proximity Pinball grenades
- Mynkoma CP-3 Stunner
- Kassa Fabrication Polaris VI Bio-Amp
- Kassa Fabrication Polaris VII omnitool
- Predator M VII armor, repainted with Omega Urban camo
- Type-S heavy power armor
- Modem has several shout-outs in her cyberlimbs:
- Battletech: They use synthetic myomer rather than standard actuators, and have a MASC system.
- Metal Gear Solid: Her right arm has a High-Frequency vibroblade in it.
- Unreal: Her left arm has a weapon called a 'spikejack', which was somewhat inspired by Unreal's Razorjack.
- Modem is a decent cook, oddly enough.
- She's apparently something of a fan of Studio Gainax works, primarily Neon Genisis Evangelion.
- She plays Assault Core - an FPS along the lines of Descent - when she's bored.
- She knows how to maintain a starship. This is helpful, as she owns a certain unique gunship.
- She uses the code-term 'Dynamic' to describe when an operation goes from stealth to assault. She isn't sure where she picked this up from.
- Modem apparently feels maternal about Cuddle Bomb for some unknown reason. She's a touch freaked out by it, since she's not even past her maiden stage and has never melded.
- Her actual first name, though it'd never show up outside a few close friends, is Cidea.
- She was born on Irunel, a small mining colony on the far edge of the Terminus.